Achieva Quasar 3.0T
The MR1 3T scanner was installed in August 2008. It replaced the original Kirby Center 1.5T scanner installed in 1999. It is currently running Release 3.2.1 software.
The Achieva 3.0T X-series features an ultra-compact, actively shielded, super-conducting magnet with large 50cm FOV capabilities. The magnet system includes:
- Ultra compact patient friendly design - only 1.57 m (5.15 ft) in length, ultra short 60cm tunnel length.
- Large FOV capabilities up to 50 cm.
- High intrinsic homogeneity combined with dynamic 1st and 2nd order shimming ensures image quality over the full imaging FOV.
- A lightweight design of 4,600 kg (10141lbs), a compact fringe field footprint of 3.1m x 5.0m (10ft.2in. x 16ft.5in.) and superconducting main field compensation that reduces susceptibility to field changes induced by moving ferrous objects.
- 3.0T zero boil-off technology for zero helium consumption under regular scanning conditions.
- Patient opening has a 110 cm (43 inch) flare.
- Patient bore diameter is 60 cm (23.6 inch), length 60 cm
- Patient support - weight up to 250 kg (550 lbs).
- Patient table can be lowered to a height of 52 cm (20.4 inch).
- Horizontal travel of 215 cm (7.05 ft) with ± 1.0 mm (0.04 inch) accuracy.
- Table speeds of 20 mm/s to 180 mm/s.
- Adjustable fresh air supply and variable lighting.
- In-bore microphone and ceiling-mounted loudspeakers support bi-directional patient-operator communication.
- Hand-held nurse call button.
- Patient headset with built-in two-way communication reduces acoustic noise by as much as 25 dB.
- Physiological synchronization for sequence triggering and gating is possible with the standard hardware:
- Peripheral Pulse
- Physiological signals can be observed on the operator's console monitor.
- Exam room display for physiology monitoring on the gantry.
Quasar Dual gradient system
The Quasar Dual gradient system enables choise of two amplitude/slew rate combinations. The gradient system design is force-balanced that minimizes vibration levels and acoustic noise.
- Dual mode gradient performance: peak amplitude 40 mT/m, slew rate 200 mT/m/ms or peak amplitude 80 mT/m, slew rate 100 mT/m/ms. All specifications are on axis (x, y and z).
- High linearity actively shielded gradient coil designed to minimize eddy currents and acoustic noise, and to provide accurate spatial encoding over a large 50cm whole body field of view.
- Water-cooled gradient amplifier technology combined with a non-resonant coil design, allows generation of any type of gradient waveform with 100% duty cycle.
- High Order shimming capabilities, first (x,y,z) and second order (x2-y2, z2, xy, xz, yz) for patient-specific shimming.
- SofTone reduces gradient acoustic noise by up to 30 dB (an 86% reduction in patient perceived acoustic noise).
FreeWave digital RF system
Achieva 3.0T X-series is powered by Philips' FreeWave, an entirely direct digital broadband spectrometer.
- 32 RF channels.
- Direct Digital Sampling at 80 MHz per channel with no analog demodulation.
- 3MHz Bandwidth per channel.
- Real-time control of RF transmission, gradient switching, data acquisition and triggering.
- Quadrature Transmit/Receive integrated body coil
- 8 channel SENSE Head coil.
- 32 channel SENSE Head coil.
- 33 element SENSE Head/Spine coil: 18 channel Neurovascular coil + 15 channel SENSE Spine coil.
- 7 element SENSE Breast coil.
- 8 channel SENSE Knee coil.
- 4 channel Sense Shoulder coil.
- 16 channel Breast coil with MammoTrak
- 6 channel Sense Cardiac coil.
- CTL Spine coil.
- 15 inch Spine coil.
- 2 element Flex M coil, 17 cm elements.
Intera Dual Quasar 3.0T
The MR2 3T scanner was installed in February 2002. It was the first Philips 3T MRI system installed outside the Philips factory. It has had multiple upgrades including addition of body coil in May 2002, Dual Quasar gradients and high order shims in November 2003 and 32 channel RF subsystem in December 2006. It is currently running Release 3.2.1 software.
Specifications for the magnet are the same as for MR1 except the magnet is not a zero boil-off design. It has a 60 cm diameter x 60 cm long patient-friendly bore size.
The Dual Quaser gradient subsystem is the same as MR1.
The RF subsystem is essentially the same with the exception that MR2 has an older-design vacuum tube RF power amplifier. The same coils are available except the 16 channel Breast/Mammotrak coil cannot be used with this system.